Keeping your home updated is important, not only for aesthetics, but also for your health and safety. If you are thinking it may be time for an update or remodel, here are some important questions to consider:
- Is the fire alarm system, including smoke, heat and carbon monoxide detectors, operable and able to be heard throughout the building? Do you have smoke detectors in every bedroom and hallway leading to the bedrooms, and do they contain 10 year batteries?
- Are the stair, loft, balcony or deck guard and grip railings sturdy, safe and up to code?
- How is the indoor air quality? Are bath fan vents and kitchen hood fans operational and in correct working order? Is the air free from irritating or bothersome odors? Are walls and other areas free from mildew, mold and excessive dusts?
- Are the floors in good condition with no loose tiles or other tripping hazards?
- Are all exits clear of obstructions and is all furniture arranged to provide easy access to the exit?
If you answered “no” to one or all of these questions, it may be time for an update.